Welcome to the Twisted Fields community forum

thanks for the clarifications. missed the 2nd hand pixhawk 4 anyhow so will definatly try to mimic you setup closely to get my project going soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, all

This tool looks so cool and put together.
Iā€™m currently leading a small data-cleaning and annotation team in tight collaboration with a model building team for an insur-tech startup in Michigan, but in a not too distant past life I was a farmworker on organic CSA farms in my area.

I dream solarpunk dreams and this is one of those glimpses of a world I want to live in.

Robotics is not my wheelhouse and I tend toward pragmatic simple models instead of deep learning, but Iā€™d love to collaborate on some data munging once you are ready to share.

Also into design fiction and speculative pondering - would be pretty nice to riff on use cases.

1 Like

Hello, everyone, from an Open source Ecology vet. I signed up for an account just to say hi, and that I think this is a very important business, which very few of us are engaged in. We should keep in close contact.

The open source ecology project is not dead, they are still holding workshops someoneā€™s, and the facility is still there. Itā€™s a multi million dollar facility, I dearly wish they had and would use it more by inviting people to work there. The founder rightly points out there must be some kind of Enterprise model, though.

Perhaps they will.

I personally am working on a machine called the manufacturetron which is a bit like a 3d printer in itā€™s purpose, but it works differently and is capable of making highly accurate objects with smooth surfaces, fully dense, and highly detailed. It is significantly more complex than a printer, I must admit. However it is not inherently expensive.

I have a website though an organization called sensorica for the project. If you Google rugdmmac you can find it.

Sensorica is also a very important project to check out, anyone interested in this sort of thing should check it out. It is all about bringing collaborators together and making things happen. There are several notable projects under is umbrella, such as the greens for good project, to develop machinery for extracting nutrients for humans from fast, ready to grow crops like alfalfa.

My email is Anthony dot a dote douglas from the provider gmail.com. on Facebook I am Anthony Douglas, it should say I live in Cornwall, Ontario.

1 Like

Hi all! Born from a peasant family in China with shortage of clothes and shoes, the only goal before my 30s was to ā€œwash up muddy legsā€ and find a good career in the city, which I achieved by teaching myself to be a programmer. As I grew older, I found myself obligated to contribute back to the country people. In 2014 I joined a guy to start a company to develop IoT solutions for greenhouses, only to find that I knew absolutely nothing about agriculture.

In 2015 I encountered permaculture, and months later I started a mini CSA farm together with my girl friend (now wife) and my brother in law. My brother in law, while convalescing at home, would take care of a few pieces of land less than 0.5 acre in total, and my GF and I would visit him each Friday after our work, do whatever labour and adjustments needed in the weekends, and bring back vegetables for at least 5 families. The harvests were so abundant that we sold hundreds of pounds of sweat corns to 30+ more families, and countless extra eggplants, cucumbers, luffas, peppers, lettuces, etc. It encouraged me that by following basic principles and a little experience, one would be able to grow high quality, poison-free food with comparable output to ā€œmodern farmingā€. The farm only lasted less than 2 years due to our career changes, but I kept growing vegetables on my rooftop since then, basically covered the familyā€™s demand except some specialities.

As promised in another thread, Iā€™m halfway reading through the codebase. As a prototype, for sure itā€™s far from production grade, but I can see it has a nice architecture. Sadly my expertise is on network protocols, instead of machine learning or kinematics, but Iā€™ll learn as much as I can to contribute to this.

I learned wireless communication in vocational school. I did fix stuff in my home from fans, rice cookers, phones, all the way up to laptops and LED TV, if they can be counted as applications of electronics, but rarely soldering.

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Sam. I grow a mixed salad on ~0.5 acre, will be doubling that over the next years. I do a deep compost mulch system, into soil-food-web, agroecology, silvoarable etc.

Iā€™ve built a Farmbot for a customer & done some attempts at ag robots, nothing particularly successful.

Iā€™m currently working on Rosmo Ā· GitHub which is both a toy robot & hopefully with the addition of Ethernet and the Open-Core board a completely open hardware actuator.

I work on 75cm beds, so would be interested in a smaller iteration of your platform @laschrocket are you still working on yours?

3 Likes

No, not much effort put into it since my post unfortunately. Iā€™m also considering setting up a 75cm market garden style field at my place though, but have had to put focus more into restoring the buildings and such at the place weā€™ve moved to, but itā€™s still on my todo list!
I realized more and more that its probably needed with some tool for doing also a bit heavier work and while doing some research I found this;

which is a i bit odd, and feels more as a proof of concept than a commercial product, but I kind of like the layout and the idea of combining a vehicle that can both do some semi heavy lifting like logs or pulling a trailer with compost as well as act as a base for sensors and light tillage.
I recently got one of these for free;

so I thought of reusing some parts from it for a electric farm vehicle.

2 Likes

Welcome everyone!

@Merlin, @sam_uk, @laschrocket, it is so nice to have you here!

Merlin you have been killing it on the open source contributions, thank you so much!

Sam Rosmo is so cute! Glad to have you here. I hope our hardware or software will be of some use for your projects! Currently Acorn works great with 30" (75cm) beds with 18" (45cm) walkways. But we are working on a modular corner design for our kit release that will make it easier to make the vehicle whatever size you desire.

Linus, that machine looks like a beast! Acorn would to well towing it I think, and we are working on a video where we show off Acorn towing a lawn mower. We are also planning to design custom tools that go inside the frame. Maybe that tool would work for that too!

2 Likes

Hi, Nick Fankhauser here. A computer geek by profession & sustainable gardener/farmer by avocation. Located in Oxford Ohio. Our automation ambitions are on a much simpler level, such as keeping the chicken coop running in the absence of people. Iā€™m also working on monitoring our beehives remotely so I can get away with fewer inspections. Nothing on the scale of your monumental project, but smaller kin. Iā€™ll be a friendly lurker most of the time, since Iā€™m not really qualified to have an opinion on most robotics topics, but Iā€™m eager to learn by observing as time allows.

2 Likes

I am YOK in south Korea.
I am a hobby farmer of a small field around 1500 meters square and an HW/SW engineer.
I hope to join and contribute to the community projects as I can.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. I hope Iā€™m not late to the party :slight_smile:
My name is Adebayo and I am from Nigeria https://twitter.com/baniagribiz
I have a bachelors degree in Agricultural extension and rural development. I have been practicing agriculture since 2014 but mostly in a convectional way and small scale. I was able to get 6 acres of land where I grow vegetables, maize and cassava. I upscaled production in 2018. As an extension worker/change agent, my goal is to pass on relevant agricultural information, modern agricultural practices to farmers and rural dwellers. This is will help improve their yield and productivity.

ā€˜My vision is to help develop rural communities through agricultureā€™. Agriculture is Africa, Nigeria is still very far behind when it comes to adopting new agricultural innovation.

One of my goal this year is to impact rural dwellers on digitization in agriculture. But more focus will be on primary/elementary school students and secondary/high school students.

Part of the challenges Iā€™m having right now is this.

I am not a tech person, but Iā€™m tech savvy.

So Iā€™m trying to figure out how I can help this young ones with Agtech courses that can help - As regards this. I have been able to come up with a few stuffs after brainstorming with a friend of mine.

I have been able to get the module for the school kids, this will enable me to work around their existing curriculum while I include basic tech about agriculture. Things they can implement while on the field. (Practical)

Digitalization creates demand for digital skills and for people who are competent in using digital devices, understanding outputs and developing programmes and applications. This requires not only basic literacy and numeracy but also data handling and communication skills. These skills are lacking in the rural areas in Nigeria, hene, education must improve quickly; ICT is developing at an incredibly rapid pace and rates of learning must keep up. This will help prevent the issue of Digital divide

There is a need to develop a model of digital skills training aimed at rural dwellers so they can learn to assess and implement the best practices and technologies from their homes/farm businesses.

Iā€™m in contact with a few of my friends who will be willing to volunteer as teachers to help sensitive and impact the younger generation.

I will be very happy to connect with everyone here. I have shared a link to my twitter profile. there you can see more of my work. I will be happy to share more about the project I am working on presently to whoever is interested in solving the sustainable development goals 1,2,4 and 11
Zero Hunger, No poverty, Quality Education and Sustainable cities and communities.

1 Like

Hello to the community!

Iā€™m Avi. Iā€™ve been lurking on here for a while and finally decided to make an account in hopes of finding a way to be useful to this project.

@taylor Iā€™d love to get in contact and find a way to get involved. Iā€™m especially interested in the new motor controller! Here are two examples of projects I did recently with Edge Impulse that can give you an idea of what Iā€™m into:

If this is relevant Iā€™m available @ avi(dot)robots(at)gmail(dot)com :slight_smile:

Hi Taylor, Everyone,

As so kindly already expressed;-

Thank you so much for furthering organic farming science and making your robot open source! Those are important contributions to the world and I appreciate it.

I work in IT for over 20yrs, grown from engineering to Project mgt, Program management and Product Ownership. I am setting up my Permaculture regenerative farm of about 50 acres - early stages. We faced devastating bushfires a couple years back, recovering slowly. Based in Sydney, Australia and north midcoast.

I too have been researching and drafting regenerative farm automation solutions including a tractor platform to assist Permaculture and Regenerative farming small scale producers and the Permaculture global community. Iā€™m familiar with home automation systems, networking, tech infra, cloud/big data, systems integrations, automation systems, dabble in coding, DJI drone/ODM, sketchup and general engineering. So have a good understanding of wide range of technology disciplines and architecture, but really these days Iā€™m just a Project Manager with some good tech know how, strategy and product mgt. Iā€™ve seen first hand how large food retailers work vertically and the insecurity small and medium farmers face. The environmental and social damage. It all must change and globally, we are out of time.

Iā€™m a Permaculture designer and been helping farmer mates with pro-bono consultancy to help them be more self sufficient and sustainable.

Really looking forward to collaborating with you all and helping bring this together to really help bring about some security and prosperity for all, (Sarbat Dha Bhalla) in the field of progressive social Ag and communities.

Warm regards,
RajD

2 Likes

Hello RajD. I have sure enjoyed learning about you and what youā€™re working on. Iā€™d be happy to connect with you to further discuss about the area of permaculture. Iā€™m working on a project presently which will be focused on teaching kids in rural areas of Nigeria how to grow food sustainably.

Hello Merlin, Nice to meet you and learn about your journey in the area of agriculture. I will be happy to learn more about you and how you successfully ran the operations of your the farm while it was active. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Iā€™m Brian Sakurada. Iā€™m a computer engineer turned regenerative farmer in Japan and I came across this project while searching for solutions to build my own similar thing. You can see some of the bits of land Iā€™m dealing with on my farm website or instagram page for Shiwa GREEN Farm.

Iā€™d like to get involved and help out and in the process, get some automation built for my farm.

2 Likes

I am Jojo. A technical informatics engineer from germany.
I have been experimenting with building something similar to Acorn, but around half the size and based on 2-wheel skid-steering. I am looking forward for some exchange and co-inspiration. I guess I will post some photos in this thread: 50% scale version of Acorn?

1 Like

This might be a good way to remove weeds or a small butane flame with a circular shield to protect the crop. You may never need a chemical weedkiller again... - YouTube. This also maybe a place you could get some ideaā€™s as to other parts which will work for driving about the field. XAG R150 made by Aerolab New Zealand. Hope this is helpful. Iā€™m starting to work with a Aerospace engineer and a coder that is coding for Chat GPT and would like to thank you all for what you do for the small scale farming industry.

1 Like

Hi @taylor & other community members! My name is Matt. I operate a human scale regenerative farm in Vermont. Iā€™m happy to have just recently found this amazing project. I also share the dream of building an autonomous multi function farming robot. Iā€™ve dabbled in arduino/raspberry pi projects for farm automation but I also work for a company that specializes in large format, 6 axis, 3D printing. We also recycle our failed prints and produce our own filament. If I can be of assistance at all please let me know. Iā€™d be more than happy to contribute in whatever way I can. Letā€™s build some open source robots!

Hey Folks,

My name is Simon Forman (he/him) and Iā€™m a semi-retired computer programmer from San Francisco. I just bought twenty acres of land West of Redding, CA, on which to practice Permaculture and build robots to collect trash, etc.

It may turn out that I canā€™t get up there in person to work on it for a little while, and so my thoughts turn to Acornā€¦

But first things first, the thing about robots in agricultureā€¦ Martin Buber has a book ā€œI and Thouā€:

Buberā€™s main proposition is that we may address existence in two ways:

The attitude of the "I" towards an "It", towards an object that is separate in itself, which we either use or experience.
The attitude of the "I" towards "Thou", in a relationship in which the other is not separated by discrete bounds.

I donā€™t believe that robots in agriculture necessarily lead to an ā€œI-Itā€ relationship with Nature, but Iā€™m wary. To me the root cause (no pun intended) of most of our problem lies in our divorce from Nature. If robotic ag exacerbates that problem, no good. But hopefully we can use robots to help us get back in harmony with Nature, eh?

I was raised in a weird eclectic California counter-culture (did you know there are more religions in CA than in the rest of the world combined? People from all over the world have come here bringing their own, and then people here have made thousands of new ones, mostly syncretic, but a few original. Anywayā€¦) All this to say that I literally believe in ā€œNature Spiritsā€, Iā€™m an animist. For me, growing food is about groking the land and living beings and harmonizing my life with theirs. ā€œAll are One.ā€ Itā€™s a little contradictory to interpose a remote-controlled robot in the mix, eh?

On the other hand, thereā€™s nothing intrinsic to a robot that prevents an ā€œI-Thouā€ relationship with the land and the living creatures on it and in it?

If all things have consciousness (animism) then so do robots, no? Like a shovel or an ax, they are tools, and tools have spirits too, we can have an ā€œI-Thouā€ relationship with them, we can all grok together.

And hereā€™s where I would normally start babbling about Cybernetics. But I donā€™t want to get into all of that too deeply on what is supposed to be an introductory post.

So, I have some land, I have motors (servos and steppers), sensors and cameras, some Pi Picos and like twenty-five ATMega328P DIP chips. (I got them before they got so expensive. Seriously the Picos come in a 3-pack for $15 and each ATMega328P goes for that last I looked. The power of hype? Arduino skewed things. The pico is a little computer, way more than a microcontroller. Anyway, if anyone here needs a ATMega328P let me know, I can spare a few.) Iā€™ve got a BeagleBoard (I like those better than Raspberry Pi) and a bunch of other bits and bobs. Iā€™ve also been working on a simple computer system based on the Joy programming language. (ā€œPermacomputingā€, yeah?)

Letā€™s make some robots and grow some food! :slight_smile:

Hi Taylor and community,

Iā€™m Andrew from the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, somewhere, down under in Australia.

Iā€™m lucky enough to be living on 10 hectares of fertile rural land and I am hoping to employ a semi-autonmous land drone to do some precision mowing and slashing to get the most out of the land with the lowest environmental impact.

My day job is in IT/Cloud Infrastructure/SaaS/Kubernetes. But I have long term interests in electronics, OSS, automation, 3d printing (reprap), and generally making and fixing stuff so a project like this is right up my alley.

If someone could point me in the direction of a BoM for suitable machine, Iā€™d build it right away, but I think itā€™s still early in the development for the open projects out there. So I might need to go with a commercial solution in the mean time (thinking R150, LCR or possibly FJD Dynamics - the last two donā€™t have commercial representation in AU).

Wishing this project the best of success - Iā€™ll be following closely, and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Cheers, Andrew