Ordering CM4 carrier - Cancelled

I’m thinking of ordering 5pc of the CM4 carrier from JLPCB towards the end of January, looks like they will be ~£70 each including postage to the UK.

Would anyone be interested at buying one at ~£70 plus P&P?

@taylor are you aware of any showstopping bugs with the latest iteration?

@Howard are you interested?

1 Like

Hi @sam_uk,

Yes @Howard and I would be happy to split that with you.

Would you need any help ordering them?

1 Like

Great, I can arrange to place the order. How many do you want ideally? One and a spare? I’ll just take one ideally.

So there may be one or two available if anyone else wants one.

@taylor do you think you might add the MikroBUS header at some point Qwiic & MikroBUS connectors · Issue #2 · Twisted-Fields/acorn-robot-electronics · GitHub

(Qwiic would be nice to have too, but the MikroBUS would save some cable spaghetti)

Hmm probably only need one but might be handy to have a 2nd in case something goes wrong with one of them but that still leaves us with 2 left over. What should we do with the spares?

1 Like

I am interested in ordering a couple of these for design project that I am doing. Have you already ordered this and if so how long did it take you to recieve them? Thank you

1 Like

No not ordered yet. Will have to be in couple of weeks after Chinese new year.

Are you ordering the PCB assembled by JLPCB?

1 Like

With all the components?

Yes, that’s the plan

What BOM and CPL files will you use? I am using the [cm4-robot-2.zip] as my gerber, [cm4-robot.csv] as the BOM and [cm4-robot-top-pos.csv] as the CPL but it is not positioning correctly and is quoting the board after assembly at $260. Please forgive me I am new to ordering PCB boards.

1 Like

How many boards are you ordering?

1 Like

Just the one for now. I think I may have put the wrong files and that is why it is that price. Just to give a little background, I am doing a design project for engineering school and the electronic system for acorn came as a suggestion from the sponsor. We have sort of a tight deadline so I am trying to get a board ordered so I can start with the programming. (Our system is inspired by your 50% scale that you posted on the other thread)

1 Like

The minimum you can order is 5x PCB and to have two of them fabricated. My ~£70 figure is based on 5pieces.

1 Like

I opened the board in Kicad and then used the ‘JLPCB’ plugin to generate the production files. Fairly sure it was this one GitHub - Bouni/kicad-jlcpcb-tools: Plugin to generate BOM + CPL files for JLCPCB, assigning LCSC part numbers directly from the plugin, query the JLCPCB parts database, lookup datasheets and much more.

1 Like

Okay yes I see now I was ordering 5 with 2 of them fabricated. I will take a look at that link but just from glancing at it it looks very helpful. Thank you for the replies and all the help!

1 Like

Sequoia/ @taylor has mentioned that Power Over Ethernet doesn’t work in this iteration, not a dealbreaker for me, but something to be aware of

1 Like

Technically the POE works but is not isolated. My POE switch seems to be putting out negative 54 volts, which gets properly rectified by the POE circuit but it means that when powered by that POE switch, GND on the board is at -54v compared to GND from, say, a USB cable coming from my desktop. This means I actually can’t use POE and another grounded device at the same time. I have to use non-POE ports with it. I recall there is one component that can be removed in order to disable the POE circuit. In my next rev I’m disconnecting POE by default and placing a solder jumper so that if your POE has the correct voltages you can use it.

I have a short list of other issues with the board. Most are minor. Biggest one is that the power switch fails to turn off the board (the board is always on and the switch has no effect) unless you patch in a resistor in one spot. I’ll try to post my short list of other issues to this thread soon. None of them stop the boards from working so if you’re in a rush it’s fine to order as is.

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve just had a substantial project cancelled so I’m afraid I need to put this order on a back burner for now. I had been working on a plan B but it looks like that won’t happen either so I won’t be able to co-ordinate this order. Someone else is welcome to of course.

2 Likes