How about using a smartphone to Acorn

We, located in South Korea, have been developing a robot for farming as you do. Very similar yours.
Currently, we deeply studied the smartphone upcycling and found that it would give a lot of useful things to make the robot price down. So, next year we are applying the old smartphone to the robot.
The smartphone has sensors, cameras, wireless(LTE, WiFI, Bluetooth). And you can update the android OS by custom_rom. can control all if you use Termux, Linux emulator App, Node-Red android, ML also.

2 Likes

Hi! Welcome!

I’m a massive fan of upcycling electronics, what process have you been using for removing and repurposing parts? I’d be very interested! What phones have you been using?

pleased to hear that you are interested in upcycling.
The below will give you a concept how to use the old smartphone
For your referance,

1 Like

1 Like

Oh! I see! I misunderstood, I thought you meant repurposing parts from the phones. Though this is just as smart an idea, we have a farming robot company in Britain called the small robot company that created some of their first robots from repurposed smart phones! I’ve never seen OpenBot before, thats a lovely idea for educational work!

this is super cool! Have you found most phones sensors to be good enough to be used in large robots? I would have assumed you wouldn’t have gotten enough data from alot of them

happy to hear that!
Yes, the sensors in the phones is enough for large robots. If you mean whether you get the accuracy for large robots.
The fact is, to be more accurate, the analog sensors was rapidly developed to be the digital sensors. Digital sensors are mostly applied to the smartphone due to small size and low current consumption. The more sensors applied to your proejct, the more accruracy you could get. That’s what we think. For example, the LG V30 has a accelorometer, a Magnetometer and a Gyroscope, it is the same as inertial Measurement Unit 9-axis sensor that measures velocity, orientation, and gravitational forces. Also, a motion sensor, a tilt, a Linear Accelation and a Gravity, the phone has, only need software to integrate high accuracy.
One more example of RTK(Real Time Kinetic) GPS, RTK is the software and GPS is a hardware. Also, the RTK software is available in the Google store you can find. Of course, even though the RTK app is applied, the GPS of the smartphone is less accuracy than RTK GPS due to the antenna, not GPS itself. But it could be overcome with adding a wire-antenna( wide size ). Or Machine learning as the open bot project. Our planning also is to get the accuracy position at irregular shape of the farm by integrating the bluetooth direction finding and the GPS based on the machine learning because It is supposed to be cheaper than any others. You can check all the sensor’s perfomance if you use termux API.

1 Like

wow thats amazing! Super impressive. I really like that as a form of upcycling, it sounds like it has genuine strengths to it as well, rather than being worse quality but being environmentally friendly

The below will be very helpful for improving your knowledge.

1 Like

Rosbobo has also integrated the Smartphone Sensors for robot usage purpose and integrated the Sensors into the ROS ecosystem. Maybe this makes some of your plans simpler to implement or just serve as an inspiration: ROsBOBO – ROSIN

1 Like

please to have such a information. Thank you for help!
I am using the node-red instead of ROS ecosystem because it have a lot of libraries and easy to handle. Also, it is very useful for remote control.